Eligibility requirements for application submission:
- Principal Investigator (PI) is a current WOCN member.
- PI must be a Registered Nurse with current license, but need not have a Masters or Doctoral degree.
Address one of the priority areas of the grants.Submit completed grant research proposal by Monday, February 27 by 11:59 p.m. CT.IRB approval is not required at time of submission, but an IRB application must be submitted within 30 days of award.International members are encouraged to apply.
- Novice investigators are encouraged to team with and should identify a more experienced investigator or someone with an advanced degree as part of their research team, e.g., co-investigator, project advisor/consultant, professional mentor.
Terms of the grant award include:
- Do not accept duplicate funding (i.e., funding for same project by more than one grant).
- Assume responsibility for the conduct of the research.
- Apply to the appropriate Institutional Review Board (IRB) within 30 days of grant award notification, or no later than July 31. Begin study within four months of receiving grant notice of award, but no later than December 1.
- The initial grant period and budget are for one year. A no-cost extension up to one additional year may be allowed to complete the analysis and make a presentation at the national conference if progress has been satisfactory and a request is made in writing to the Center for Clinical Investigation explaining the need. The request should be made at least 30-60 days before the end of the grant period.
- Agree to follow the final study protocol that was awarded funding. The PI is advised to consult the Center for Clinical Investigation Director regarding major changes to the research protocol after funding. The PI should notify the Center for Clinical Investigation in writing of any major changes to the funded protocol within 30 days of the change.
- Submit progress report after the first 6 months of the grant period to the Center for Clinical Investigation; final report submitted within four months of completion of the study. If a no-cost extension is granted, progress reports are required at 12 months of Year 1, and at 6 months in Year 2.
- Submit an abstract of findings to the WOCN Society's annual conference for the call for proposals closest to the end of the study, and agree to present findings at the WOCN Society's annual conference if abstract is accepted for either an oral or poster presentation.
- Agree to submit a manuscript reporting findings of the primary research aims to the Journal of Wound Ostomy and Continence Nursing for peer review within 4 months of completion of study. This manuscript may serve as the final report of the study to CCI. Submission to the Journal will be peer reviewed and there is no guarantee of acceptance for publication.
- Agree to acknowledge the funding source in all publications, papers, oral or poster presentations, when presenting research findings.
- Notify the Center for Clinical Investigation in writing of plans to terminate the study prior to its completion along with an explanation. Unexpended funds, due to early termination and without a no-cost extension, must be returned to the WOCN Foundation via the Center for Clinical Investigation.
- The Center for Clinical Investigation Director and Board are available for consultation to troubleshoot issues or problems related to study implementation and progress. Principal Investigators are encouraged to use this resource.
Terms of the Budget
- Funds cannot be used as salary support for Principal or Co-Investigators.
- Up to 10% of the total budget can be used for indirect administrative costs.
- Up to $500 can be used to purchase any type of computer.
- Principal Investigators are expected to use software available at the agency at which they are conducting the study (e.g., University has SPSS/PASW license, PI will use University software).
- Permission for rebudgeting greater than or equal to $500 needs to be requested from the Center for Clinical Investigation in writing.
- Grant recipients are recommended to budget travel costs for one PI to attend the WOCN Society's annual conference to present findings (approximately $1,200 - $1,500).
- Funds in the amount of $500 will be withheld until an abstract reporting the study findings and the final report (paper) is submitted to the Center for Clinical Investigation.