Background-Rationale for Ostomy Care Associate Program
- The Wound, Ostomy and Continence Nurses Society (WOCN) developed the Ostomy Care Associate (OCA) Program as a continuing education program to further empower wound, ostomy and continence (WOC) specialty nurses and to improve patient outcomes by enhancing their ostomy team.
- The course was developed by a taskforce of Society members, appointed by the Board of Directors, who are board-certified WOC nurses with clinical and educational expertise.
- The course is a continuing education program geared to prepare non-specialty nurses to provide basic, bedside wound care.
- The OCA Program is not a certification program.
Purpose of the Course
Acknowledging the ever growing demand for ostomy care services in all health care settings, the WOCN Society developed this educational program to:
- Educate and prepare more skilled ostomy care providers across all health care settings.
- Enhance nurses’ ability to provide optimal care for patients with ostomies as members of a collaborative ostomy care team.
- Provide the non-specialty nurse the ability to provide optimal care for patients with ostomies under the direction of a supervising WOC specialty nurse (i.e., WOC registered nurse, WOC graduate-level prepared registered nurse, WOC advanced practice registered nurse); a physician, physician’s assistant, or nurse practitioner; or a clinical nurse specialist (experienced in ostomy care).
Eligibility for Course Participation
- Licensed health care providers:
- Non baccalaureate RNs.
- Baccalaureate or Master’s prepared RNs who do not wish to specialize but want more knowledge in wound care.
- Physicians and other licensed clinicians who want adequate knowledge in ostomy care.
- Note: CE hours provided only for nurses.