Call for Nominations for Treasurer
The WOCN Board of Directors consists of president, president-elect, secretary, treasurer and four directors-at-large. All members of the Board have the same legal and fiduciary responsibilities and the same requirements with the exception of president, president-elect, secretary and treasurer who must possess additional knowledge and skills as outlined below.
Service on the WOCN Society's Board of Directors is without remuneration, except for administrative support, travel, and accommodation costs in relation to Board Members' duties.
This is an extraordinary opportunity for an individual who is passionate about the WOCN Society's mission and who has a track record of board leadership. Board Members will have achieved leadership stature in health care organizations, business, government, philanthropy, or the nonprofit sector. His/her accomplishments will allow him/her to attract other well-qualified, high-performing Board Members.
Active members who are employed by a commercial industry that provides products or services as defined in the WOCN Society's policy are not eligible to serve on the board of directors.
Ideal candidates will have the following qualifications:
- A Full, Retired or Life member of the WOCN Society in good standing.
- Professional experience with leadership accomplishments in nursing, health care, government, philanthropy, or the nonprofit sector.
- Possesses diplomatic skills and a natural affinity for cultivating relationships and persuading, convening, facilitating, and building consensus among diverse individuals.
- Personal qualities of integrity, credibility, and a passion for improving the lives of the WOCN Society's beneficiaries.
- Demonstrated commitment to and passion for WOC nursing, WOC nurses, and, moreover, those served by the specialty.
- Commitment to WOCN Society demonstrated by a strong history of volunteer service to the Society.
- Substantial progressive professional leadership experience demonstrated by employment roles and/or volunteer board level experiences, preferably at the national level or equivalent.
- Breadth and depth of understanding of WOCN Society's various constituencies
(one or more of the following)
Experience as treasurer at either the WOCN
Society region and/or affiliate level or with another volunteer professional
or service entity/organization.
- Academic preparation which includes budget,
finance, fiscal management.
- Personal or professional experience with
accountability for managing large volumes of cash-flow and investments
(e.g., leadership positions with responsibility for budget management.
The Board will support the work of the WOCN Society and provide mission-based leadership and strategic governance. While day-to-day operations are led by the WOCN Society chief staff executive, the Board, chief staff executive and staff relationship is a partnership, and the appropriate involvement of the Board is both critical and expected. Specific Board Member responsibilities include:
Leadership, Governance and Oversight
- Serving as a trusted advisor to the chief staff executive and management staff as they develop and implement the WOCN Society strategic plan.
- Reviewing outcomes and metrics created by the WOCN Society for evaluating its impact, and regularly measuring its performance and effectiveness using those metrics; reviewing agenda and supporting materials prior to board and committee meetings.
- Approving the WOCN Society's annual budget, audit reports, and material business decisions; being informed of, and meeting all, legal and fiduciary responsibilities.
- Contributing to an annual performance evaluation of the chief staff executive.
- Assisting the chief staff executive and board president in identifying and recruiting other Board Members.
- Partnering with the chief staff executive and other board members to ensure that board resolutions are carried out.
- Representing the WOCN Society to stakeholders; acting as an ambassador for the organization.
- Ensuring the WOCN Society's commitment to a diverse board that reflects the communities the WOCN Society serves.
- As designated liaisons to committees or special projects, Board members will remain fully aware of committee or special projects' activities, changes and recommendations by contacting their respective committee chairs at least quarterly. Liaisons will be copied on all correspondence related to the committee.
- Board members are expected to participate on all committee calls as a representative of the WOCN Society Board of Directors to field any questions regarding the Society and its strategic initiatives.
- Board members will present committee reports (on a scheduled basis) at the Board of Directors meetings.
Financial Literacy Responsibilities of Treasurer Only
- Work with chief staff executive and chief operations officer on the development of the organization’s financial planning and budgeting (WOCN Society and WOCN Foundation).
- Development of organization’s internal controls.
- Preparation and distribution to the Board of timely, accurate, and user friendly financial reports.
- Ensuring adherence of the budget and financial goals.
- Oversee the financial status of the organization including developing long and short range financial plans, monitoring the budget and ensuring sound financial controls are in place; set financial priorities accurately to ensure the organization is operating in a manner that supports the needs of the program and staff.
- Provides financial report to the membership during the Member's Business meeting at the WOCN annual conference.
Fundraising efforts by the WOCN Society Board Members are defined as consistently working to raise awareness of and advocate for the mission, vision, and strategic goals of the WOCN Society. Board members are expected to be the face of the Society at the WOCN Annual Conference, Region/Affiliate conferences, and in their daily practice to continue the growth and initiatives of the organization.
- The WOCN Society's Board Members will serve a 2-year term and be able to be re-elected for one additional 2-year term.
- Board meetings will be held monthly via conference calls or in person.
- Committee meetings will be held in addition to full board meetings.
- Active member in good standing for at least two years prior to the time of election.
- Current or prior board or standing committee chair position in a professional society either on a national, regional or affiliate level.
- Hold no other WOCN Society offices, elected or appointed at the same time.
- Comply with the Conflict of Interest and Code of Conduct Statements.
Even-numbered years (ex. 2014, 2016, 2018…)
Submit a Nominee for Treasurer