The Wound, Ostomy and Continence Nurses Society (WOCN) supports its members by promoting educational, clinical, and research opportunities to advance the practice and guide the delivery of expert health care to individuals with wound, ostomy and continence concerns. One of the many purposes of the WOCN Society is to stimulate the research, investigation, and teaching of wound, ostomy and continence nursing specialties.
In order to support the WOCN Society in its mission and purposes, it relies on the contributions and work of individuals who participate in its activities and who volunteer their time and talent to advance the Society's goals. To ensure that volunteers understand the full scope of expectations when volunteering on a WOCN committee, below are the responsibilities of a committee member:
- Committee members:
- Serve two-year terms (with the exception of the Accreditation Committee that serves four-year terms).
- Eligible to serve a second consecutive term.
- Term of service is July 1 through June 30.
- Committee members are expected to:
- Attend all scheduled face-to-face meetings and conference calls.
- Attend conference calls during evening hours.
- Attend each meeting in a timely manner.
- Have full access to email and must be willing to respond to all emails in a timely manner.
- Committee Work:
- The vast majority of committee work is done during monthly conference calls through a toll-free conferencing center.
- Is generally completed within a short period of time, usually one to two weeks. (Please ensure that you are able to meet this commitment before volunteering.)
- There are occasions requiring small groups to meet/call between scheduled monthly committee calls.
- Assignments for the entire year are provided to committee members. If a committee member is unable to complete their scheduled assignment, it is their responsibility to find a replacement to cover for them.
- If an assignment is due, committee members are expected to notify the chair prior to meeting/call so that the chair or another designate can present the information.
- If a committee member is unable to attend a meeting/call, they are expected to notify the chair as soon as possible with an explanation for the absence and provide an update to any assignments they are currently working on.
- Committee members who have excessive absences and/or are unable to fulfill their role and obligations to the committee will be removed upon a recommendation of the chair with approval by the Board of Directors.
The WOCN committee members work diligently to create, implement, and complete various projects. It is imperative that all volunteers understand the full expectations and responsibilities before committing to volunteer with the WOCN Society.
If you are interested on serving on a committee make sure you are logged in to the Member Center and fill out the Volunteer Form found here >>
Please Note: You are only able to access the Volunteer Form if you are signed into your member profile. Please select more than one committee in case we can not place you in your first choice.
Be sure to submit your completed Volunteer Form by Monday, March 25, 2013