2 positions available
The WOCN Board of Directors consists of President, President-Elect, Secretary, Treasurer, and four Directors. All members of the Board have the same legal and fiduciary responsibilities and the same requirements with the exception of President, President-Elect, Secretary, and Treasurer.
Service on the WOCN Society’s Board of Directors is without remuneration, except for administrative support, travel, and accommodation costs in relation to Board members’ duties.
This is an extraordinary opportunity for an individual who is passionate about the WOCN Society’s mission and who has a track record of Board leadership. Board members will have achieved leadership stature in health care organizations, business, government, philanthropy, or the nonprofit sector. His/her accomplishments will allow him/her to attract other well-qualified, high-performing Board Members.
- Member in good standing for at least two years prior to the time of election.
- Current or prior Board or standing committee chair position in a professional society either on a national, regional, or affiliate level is required.
- Commitment to WOCN Society demonstrated by a strong history of volunteer service to the Society.
- Hold no other WOCN Society offices, elected or appointed at the same time.
- Comply with the Code of Conduct and Conflict of Interest Policy.
- Professional experience with leadership accomplishments in nursing, health care, government, philanthropy, or the
- Possess diplomatic skills and a natural affinity for cultivating relationships and persuading, convening, facilitating, and building consensus among diverse individuals.
- Personal qualities of integrity, credibility, and a passion for improving the lives of the WOC nursing community.
- Demonstrate commitment to and passion for WOC nursing, WOC nurses, and, moreover, those served by the specialty.
- Breadth and depth of understanding of WOCN Society’s various constituencies.
- To ensure that all participants in the activities of the WOCN Society are governed exclusively by the best interests of the WOCN Society, members of the Board of Directors cannot be employed by a commercial industry that provides products or services to the WOCN Society. Additionally, employees of a WOC Nursing Education Program (WOCNEP) or any component of a WOCNEP (e.g., Program Director, Assistant Program Director, or any employee who works in such a capacity that their job oversees or directs the business and/or strategic direction of the program) are not eligible to serve on the WOCN Board of Directors.
Term and Election:
- The WOCN Society’s Board Members serve a 2-year term and are able to be re-elected for one additional 2-year term.
- Two Directors elected in even-numbered years.
- Two Directors elected in odd-numbered years.
Leadership, governance, and oversight responsibilities
- Serve as a trusted advisor to the chief staff executive and management staff as they develop and implement the WOCN Society strategic plan.
- Review outcomes and metrics created by the WOCN Society for evaluating its impact, and regularly measuring its performance and effectiveness using those metrics.
- Review agenda and supporting materials prior to Board and Committee meetings.
- Approve the WOCN Society’s annual budget, audit reports, and material business decisions; be informed of and meet all legal and fiduciary responsibilities.
- Contribute to an annual performance evaluation of the chief staff executive.
- Assist the chief staff executive and President in identifying and recruiting other Board members.
- Collaborate with the chief staff executive and other Board members to ensure that Board resolutions are carried out.
- Represent the WOCN Society to stakeholders; act as an ambassador for the organization.
- Ensure the WOCN Society’s commitment to a diverse Board that reflects the communities the WOCN Society serves.
- When appointed to serve as liaison to a committee, task force, or a special project, Board members are expected to participate on all committee calls to field any questions regarding the Society and its strategic initiatives and present the reports and/or recommendations to the Board for consideration and approval on as needed and scheduled basis.
- Fundraising efforts by the WOCN Society Board members are defined as consistently working to raise awareness of and advocate for the mission, vision, and strategic goals of the WOCN Society. Board members are expected to be the face
of the Society at the WOCN conference, Region and Affiliate events, and in their daily practice to continue the growth and initiatives of the organization.
Please Note: There may be other candidates running for each position. We are ethically bound to keep the slate of candidates confidential until approved by the board and the election is open.