2 positions available
According to Section 2.5 of the WOCN Policy and Procedures Manual, “directors provide a national perspective to the decision-making process regarding clinical, professional practice, and organizational issues.”
Service on the WOCN Society’s Board of Directors is without remuneration, except for administrative support, travel, and accommodation costs in relation to Board members’ duties.
- Member in good standing for at least two years prior to the time of election.
- Current or prior Board or standing committee chair position in a professional society either on a national, regional, or affiliate level is required.
- Commitment to WOCN Society demonstrated by a strong history of volunteer service to the Society.
- Hold no other WOCN Society offices, elected or appointed at the same time.
- Comply with the Code of Conduct and Conflict of Interest Policy.
- Professional experience with leadership accomplishments in nursing, health care, government, philanthropy, or the
- Possess diplomatic skills and a natural affinity for cultivating relationships and persuading, convening, facilitating, and building consensus among diverse individuals.
- Personal qualities of integrity, credibility, and a passion for improving the lives of the WOC nursing community.
- Demonstrate commitment to and passion for WOC nursing, WOC nurses, and, moreover, those served by the specialty.
- Breadth and depth of understanding of WOCN Society’s various constituencies.
- To ensure that all participants in the activities of the WOCN Society are governed exclusively by the best interests of the WOCN Society, members of the Board of Directors cannot be employed by a commercial industry that provides products or services to the WOCN Society. Additionally, employees of a WOC Nursing Education Program (WOCNEP) or any component of a WOCNEP (e.g., Program Director, Assistant Program Director, or any employee who works in such a capacity that their job oversees or directs the business and/or strategic direction of the program) are not eligible to serve on the WOCN Board of Directors.
Term and Election:
- The WOCN Society’s Board Members serve a 2-year term and are able to be re-elected for one additional 2-year term.
- Two Directors elected in even-numbered years.
- Two Directors elected in odd-numbered years.
1. Attend the following meetings, and conference calls as scheduled:
123456a. WOCN Board of Directors and Annual Members’ Business meetings
123456b. WOCN annual conference
123456c. Strategic Planning Session (SPS)
123456d. Budget meeting
123456e. Other meetings as designated by the president
2. Act as a Board of Directors’ liaison to committee(s), as appointed by the president and approved by the Board of Directors.
3. Facilitate communication among all levels of the organization.
4. Participate in, chair task forces or other projects as appointed by the president and approved by the Board of Directors.
5. Notify the president and the chief staff executive if unable to attend regular and/or special meetings of the Board of Directors.
6. Other duties as assigned by the president.
Leadership, Governance, and Oversight Responsibilities
- Serve as a trusted advisor to the chief staff executive and management staff as they develop and implement the WOCN Society strategic plan.
- Review outcomes and metrics created by the WOCN Society for evaluating its impact, and regularly measuring its performance and effectiveness using those metrics
- Review agenda and supporting materials prior to board and committee meetings.
- Approve the WOCN Society’s annual budget, audit reports, and material business decisions; being informed of, and meeting all, legal and fiduciary responsibilities.
- Contribute to an annual performance evaluation of the chief staff executive.
- Assist the chief staff executive and board president in identifying and recruiting other Board Members, ensuring the WOCN Society’s commitment to a diverse board that reflects the communities the WOCN Society serves.
- Partner with the chief staff executive and other board members to ensure that board resolutions are carried out.
- Represent the WOCN Society to stakeholders; acting as an ambassador for the organization.
- As designated liaisons to committees or special projects, Board members will remain fully aware of committee or special projects’ activities, changes and recommendations by contacting their respective committee chairs at least quarterly. Liaisons will be copied on all correspondence related to the committee.
Fundraising efforts by the WOCN Society Board Members are defined as consistently working to raise awareness of and advocate for the mission, vision, and strategic goals of the WOCN Society. Board members are expected to be the face of the Society at the WOCN Annual Conference, Region/Affiliate conferences, and in their daily practice to continue the growth and initiatives of the organization.
Please Note: There may be other candidates running for each position. We are ethically bound to keep the slate of candidates confidential until approved by the board and the election is open.