According to Article VII, Section 3 of the WOCN Bylaws, “The President-Elect shall assist the President and shall substitute for the President when required to and shall chair meetings in the absence of the President. The President-Elect shall be an ex-officio member, without vote, of all committees, except the Leadership Development Committee or as otherwise provided by these Bylaws. The President-Elect shall, in general, perform all duties customarily incident to the office of President-Elect and such other duties as may be prescribed from time to time by the Board of Directors. The President-Elect shall succeed to the office of President upon expiration of the President’s term of office, and in the event of the death, resignation, removal, or incapacity of the President.”
The President-Elect will assume the position of the President at the completion of the President’s two-year term.
Service on the WOCN Society’s Board of Directors is without remuneration, except for administrative support, travel, and accommodation costs in relation to Board Members’ duties.
Term and Election
- The President-Elect will serve a 2-year term (maximum of one term).
- The President-Elect’s position is elected during odd-number years (ex. 2023, 2025, etc).
- Member in good standing for at least two years prior to the time of election.
- Must have 5 years of documented Board level involvement in healthcare non-profit arena and a minimum of 5 years WOC nursing experience.
- Current or prior Board or standing committee chair position in a professional society either on a national, regional, or affiliate level is required.
- Prior nonprofit organization experience ideal.
- Board development, fundraising, marketing/branding, and fiscal management experience preferred.
- A financially and politically knowledgeable leader with the ability to set clear priorities, delegate, and guide investment in people and systems; analytical, organizational, and problem-solving skills, which support and enable sound decision making.
- Strong coalition building skills with an ability to communicate and work effectively with a variety of internal and external stakeholders; a persuasive negotiator able to achieve consensus amongst differing opinions.
- An articulate communicator via all mediums. Outstanding presentation and communication skills with the experience to be an outgoing spokesperson, and relationship builder.
- Experience in recruiting and retaining a diverse team.
- Comply with the Code of Conduct and Conflict of Interest Policy.
- To ensure that all participants in the activities of the WOCN Society are governed exclusively by the best interests of the WOCN Society, members of the Board of Directors cannot be employed by a commercial industry that provides products or services to the WOCN Society. Additionally, employees of a WOC Nursing Education Program (WOCNEP) or any component of a WOCNEP (e.g., Program Director, Assistant Program Director, or any employee who works in such a capacity that their job oversees or directs the business and/or strategic direction of the program) are not eligible to serve on the WOCN Board of Directors.
- Assist the President and substitute for the President when required to; chair meetings in the absence of the President.
- The President-Elect should be fully cognizant of the responsibilities of the President. By being fully informed of the activities in all areas of the WOCN Society and WOCN Foundation, the President-Elect will be prepared to assist the President in any way and to assume the responsibilities of the office of President should the need arise.
- Serve as an ex-officio member, without vote, of all committees, except the Leadership Development Committee or as otherwise provided by the Bylaws.
- Perform all duties customarily incident to the office of President-Elect and such other duties as may be prescribed from time to time by the Board of Directors.
- Succeed to the office of President upon expiration of the President’s term of office, and in the event of the death, resignation, removal, or incapacity of the President.
- Serve as liaison from the Board of Directors to the Accreditation Committee, WOCNEP Program Directors and WOCNCB.
- Attend the following meetings, and conference calls as scheduled:
- WOCN Board of Directors and Annual Members’ Business Meetings
- WOCN Annual Conference
- Strategic Planning Session (SPS)
- Budget Meeting
- Quarterly meetings with Committee/Task Force Chairs and consultants
- Other meetings as designated by the President
Leadership, Governance and Oversight Responsibilities
- Serve as a trusted advisor to the chief staff executive and management staff as they develop and implement the WOCN Society strategic plan.
- Review outcomes and metrics created by the WOCN Society for evaluating its impact, and regularly measuring its performance and effectiveness using those metrics
- Review agenda and supporting materials prior to board and committee meetings.
- Approve the WOCN Society’s annual budget, audit reports, and material business decisions; being informed of, and meeting all, legal and fiduciary responsibilities.
- Contribute to an annual performance evaluation of the chief staff executive.
- Assist the chief staff executive and board president in identifying and recruiting other Board Members, ensuring the WOCN Society’s commitment to a diverse board that reflects the communities the WOCN Society serves.
- Partner with the chief staff executive and other board members to ensure that board resolutions are carried out.
- Represent the WOCN Society to stakeholders; acting as an ambassador for the organization.
- As designated liaisons to committees or special projects, Board members will remain fully aware of committee or special projects’ activities, changes and recommendations by contacting their respective committee chairs at least quarterly. Liaisons will be copied on all correspondence related to the committee.
- Fundraising efforts by the WOCN Society Board Members are defined as consistently working to raise awareness of and advocate for the mission, vision, and strategic goals of the WOCN Society. Board members are expected to be the face of the Society at the WOCN Annual Conference, Region/Affiliate conferences, and in their daily practice to continue the growth and initiatives of the organization.
Please Note: There may be other candidates running for each position. We are ethically bound to keep the slate of candidates confidential until approved by the Board and the election is open.