According to Article VII, Section 4 of the WOCN Bylaws, “the Secretary shall keep minutes of the meetings of the Board of Directors and the membership in one or more books maintained for that purpose; shall see that all notices are duly given in accordance with applicable law, the Articles of Incorporation and these Bylaws; shall be custodian of the corporate records; shall keep a record of the mailing address of each member of the Society; and, in general, shall perform all duties customarily incident to the office of secretary and such other duties as may be assigned from time to time by the President or the Board of Directors. The duties of the Secretary may be assigned by the Board of Directors in whole or in part to the chief staff executive.”
Service on the WOCN Society’s Board of Directors is without remuneration, except for administrative support, travel, and accommodation costs in relation to Board Members’ duties.
- Member in good standing for at least two years prior to the time of election.
- Current or prior Board or standing committee chair position in a professional society either on a National, Chapters (Regions and Affiliates) level is required.
- Commitment to WOCN Society demonstrated by a strong history of volunteer service to the Society.
- Hold no other WOCN Society offices, elected or appointed at the same time.
- Comply with the Code of Conduct and Conflict of Interest Policy.
- Professional experience with leadership accomplishments in nursing, health care, government, philanthropy, or the nonprofit sector
- Possess diplomatic skills and a natural affinity for cultivating relationships and persuading, convening, facilitating, and building consensus among diverse individuals.
- Personal qualities of integrity, credibility, and a passion for improving the lives of the WOC nursing community.
- Demonstrate commitment to and passion for WOC nursing, WOC nurses, and, moreover, those served by the specialty.
- Breadth and depth of understanding of WOCN Society’s various constituencies.
- To ensure that all participants in the activities of the WOCN Society are governed exclusively by the best interests of the WOCN Society, members of the Board of Directors cannot be employed by a commercial industry that provides products or services to the WOCN Society. Additionally, strategic employees of a wound, ostomy, and/or continence nursing education program seeking or holding accreditation as a WOCNEP (e.g., Program Director, Assistant Program Director, or any employee who works in a similar capacity overseeing the business or strategic direction of the program) are not eligible to serve on the WOCN Board of Directors.
1. Participate in the management of the WOCN Society and WOCN Foundation.
2. Attend the following meetings and conference calls:
123456 a. WOCN Board of Directors and Annual Members’ Business meetings
123456 b. WOCN Foundation meetings
123456 c. Strategic Planning Session (SPS)
123456 d. WOCN annual conference
123456 e. Budget meeting
123456 f. Other meetings as designated by the president
3. Collaborate with the National Office staff to record minutes of meetings.
123456 a. National Office staff will send a rough draft of the minutes to the secretary 1 week following the meeting.
123456 b. Secretary reviews the minutes and emails corrections to the National Office staff within 1 week of receipt by Secretary.
123456 c. The minutes are approved by vote during the next regular meeting.
123456 d. A final copy of all minutes is kept by the National Office as prescribed by the Document Retention Policy.
4. Maintain Bylaws (WOCN Society and WOCN Foundation) and collaborate with chief staff executive and legal counsel to review and recommend revisions to the Board of Directors every 3 years.
5. Chair task forces and other projects as appointed by the president and approved by the Board of Directors.
6. Notify the president and the chief staff executive if unable to attend regular and/or special meetings of the Board of Directors.
Term and Election
- The WOCN Society’s Board Members will serve a 2-year term and be able to be re-elected for one additional 2-year term.
- The Secretary’s position is elected during even-numbered years (ex. 2022, 2024, etc)
Leadership, Governance, and Oversight Responsibilities
- Serve as a trusted advisor to the chief staff executive and management staff as they develop and implement the WOCN Society strategic plan.
- Review outcomes and metrics created by the WOCN Society for evaluating its impact, and regularly measuring its performance and effectiveness using those metrics
- Review agenda and supporting materials prior to board and committee meetings.
- Approve the WOCN Society’s annual budget, audit reports, and material business decisions; being informed of, and meeting all, legal and fiduciary responsibilities.
- Contribute to an annual performance evaluation of the chief staff executive.
- Assist the chief staff executive and board president in identifying and recruiting other Board Members, ensuring the WOCN Society’s commitment to a diverse board that reflects the communities the WOCN Society serves.
- Partner with the chief staff executive and other board members to ensure that board resolutions are carried out.
- Represent the WOCN Society to stakeholders; acting as an ambassador for the organization.
- As designated liaisons to committees or special projects, Board members will remain fully aware of committee or special projects’ activities, changes and recommendations by contacting their respective committee chairs at least quarterly. Liaisons will be copied on all correspondence related to the committee.
Fundraising efforts by the WOCN Society Board Members are defined as consistently working to raise awareness of and advocate for the mission, vision, and strategic goals of the WOCN Society. Board members are expected to be the face of the Society at the WOCN Annual Conference, Chapters (Regions and Affiliates) conferences, and in their daily practice to continue the growth and initiatives of the organization.
Please Note: There may be other candidates running for each position. We are ethically bound to keep the slate of candidates confidential until approved by the board and the election is open.