According to Article VII, Section 5 of the WOCN Bylaws, “The Treasurer shall be the principal accounting and financial officer of the Society and shall have charge of and be responsible for the maintenance of adequate books of account for the Society; shall have charge and custody of all funds and securities of the Society, and be responsible therefore, and for the receipt and disbursement thereof; shall deposit all funds and securities of the Society in such banks, trust companies or other depositories as shall be selected in accordance with the provisions of Article XII of these Bylaws; shall have an annual audit of the Society’s books conducted by a certified public accounting firm; and, in general, shall perform all of the duties customarily incident to the office of treasurer and such other duties as from time to time may be assigned by the President or the Board of Directors. The duties of the Treasurer may be assigned by the Board of Directors in whole or in part to the chief staff executive.”
Service on the WOCN Society’s Board of Directors is without remuneration, except for administrative support, travel, and accommodation costs in relation to Board Members’ duties.
- Member in good standing for at least two years prior to the time of election.
- Current or prior Board or standing committee chair position in a professional society either on a national, regional or affiliate level is required.
- Commitment to WOCN Society demonstrated by a strong history of volunteer service to the Society.
- Hold no other WOCN Society offices, elected or appointed at the same time.
- Comply with the Code of Conduct and Conflict of Interest Policy.
- Professional experience with leadership accomplishments in nursing, health care, government, philanthropy, or the nonprofit sector.
- Possess diplomatic skills and a natural affinity for cultivating relationships and persuading, convening, facilitating, and building consensus among diverse individuals.
- Personal qualities of integrity, credibility, and a passion for improving the lives of the WOC nursing community.
- Demonstrate commitment to and passion for WOC nursing, WOC nurses, and, moreover, those served by the specialty.
- Breadth and depth of understanding of WOCN Society’s various constituencies.
- To ensure that all participants in the activities of the WOCN Society are governed exclusively by the best interests of the WOCN Society, members of the Board of Directors cannot be employed by a commercial industry that provides products or services to the WOCN Society. Additionally, strategic employees of a wound, ostomy, and/or continence nursing education program seeking or holding accreditation as a WOCNEP (e.g., Program Director, Assistant Program Director, or any employee who works in a similar capacity overseeing the business or strategic direction of the program) are not eligible to serve on the WOCN Board of Directors.
- Experience as treasurer at either the WOCN Society region and/or affiliate level or with another volunteer professional or service entity/organization is strongly preferred.
- Personal or professional experience with accountability for managing large volumes of cash-flow and investments is strongly preferred (e.g., leadership positions with responsibility for budget management.
1. Participate in the management of the WOCN Society and WOCN Foundation.
2. Adhere to the WOCN Society and WOCN Foundation Bylaws and policies regarding financial matters.
3. Attend the following meetings and conference calls:
123456 a. WOCN Board of Directors and Annual Members’ Business meetings
123456 b. WOCN Foundation meetings
123456 c. Annual Budget meetings
123456 d. Strategic Planning Session (SPS)
123456 e. WOCN annual conference
123456 f. Budget meeting
123456 g. Other meetings as designated by the President
4. Notify the president and the chief staff executive if unable to attend regular and/or special meetings of the Board of Directors.
5. Work with the chief staff executive to facilitate annual budget preparation for Board of Directors’ approval and implementation.
6. Review financial statements monthly.
7. Communicate with the WOCN Society and the WOCN Foundation Board of Directors to maintain budget accountability.
8. Review all financial-related communications from members, the WOCN Society, the WOCN Foundation Board of Directors, and the National Office; and respond appropriately.
9. Work with the chief staff executive to advise all committee chairs regarding financial matters and budget appropriation.
10. Collaborate closely with the president and chief staff executive regarding financial matters and status.
11. Report on the financial condition of the WOCN Society to the WOCN Board of Directors on regular basis.
12. Report on the financial condition of the WOCN Foundation to the WOCN Foundation Board of Directors on regular basis.
13. Keep the WOCN Society and the WOCN Foundation Board of Directors informed of financial conditions between Board of Directors’ meetings, when appropriate.
14. Report financial information to the membership during the Member’s Business meeting at the WOCN Annual Conference and as needed throughout the year.
15. Work with the chief staff executive to ensure the accurate and timely receipt and distribution of funds by the National Office.
16. Participate actively in the establishment of the WOCN Society and WOCN Foundation goals and financial directions.
17. Chair task forces and other projects as appointed by the president and approved by the Board of Directors.
18. Serve as chair of the Finance Committee.
Term and Election
- The WOCN Society’s Board Members will serve a 2-year term and be able to be re-elected for one additional 2-year term.
- The Treasurer’s position is elected during even-numbered years (ex. 2022, 2024, etc.)
Leadership, Governance and Oversight Responsibilities
- Serve as a trusted advisor to the chief staff executive and management staff as they develop and implement the WOCN Society strategic plan.
- Review outcomes and metrics created by the WOCN Society for evaluating its impact, and regularly measuring its performance and effectiveness using those metrics
- Review agenda and supporting materials prior to board and committee meetings.
- Approve the WOCN Society’s annual budget, audit reports, and material business decisions; being informed of, and meeting all, legal and fiduciary responsibilities.
- Contribute to an annual performance evaluation of the chief staff executive.
- Assist the chief staff executive and board president in identifying and recruiting other Board Members, ensuring the WOCN Society’s commitment to a diverse board that reflects the communities the WOCN Society serves.
- Partner with the chief staff executive and other board members to ensure that board resolutions are carried out.
- Represent the WOCN Society to stakeholders; acting as an ambassador for the organization.
- As designated liaisons to committees or special projects, Board members will remain fully aware of committee or special projects’ activities, changes and recommendations by contacting their respective committee chairs at least quarterly. Liaisons will be copied on all correspondence related to the committee.
Fundraising efforts by the WOCN Society Board Members are defined as consistently working to raise awareness of and advocate for the mission, vision, and strategic goals of the WOCN Society. Board members are expected to be the face of the Society at the WOCN Annual Conference, Region/Affiliate conferences, and in their daily practice to continue the growth and initiatives of the organization.
Please Note: There may be other candidates running for each position. We are ethically bound to keep the slate of candidates confidential until approved by the board and the election is open.